Step into history and nobility...
A 15 th century manor / transformed to the highest standards in a magnificent green setting.
This ancient feudal dwelling comprises "Maison Forte" de Bardonnex. The presence today of such an edifice is all the more remarkable considering the loss of castles over the centuries in our canton.The architectural richness of its fittings, most of which
are ornamented , is easily distinguishable from surrounding constructions. Bulky yet slim with a 4 sided roof.
It evokes the sensations of the strength and greatness that characterise period manors !!
Still today the courtyard has conserved its rural authenticity basking in old world charm.
The date of construction 1427/1428 has been proven thanks to an elaborate scientific analysis of a large beam in the cave.
The significance of "Maison Forte" is undeniable as it harboured a chapel, of which the only remaining vestige is a cupboard used to lay the sacred hostis ( see below photo) .
This chapel was the first catholic chapel in a Protestant Geneva and was, of course ... secret.
We owe its presence to the Veyrier nobility, an arm of the powerful Compeys family. They are possibly behind the original construction of this manor.
At the time of the Bernese stampede of 1536 "Maison Forte" was sold by the Bernese to the Ternier bailli.
Then in 1607 a family of nobles de Brunes took up residence . The adjoining square is named after them ... this square represents the heart of the village.
In 1985 the Geneva State Council declared "Maison Forte" de Bardonnex a « listed monument « on « aesthetic and historical grounds ».
Equally important the Geneva State Council also declared as « listed » the surrounding area of "Maison Forte" . A project was established to ensure the protection of the "Maison Forte" vicinity but also to set a fixed moderate development for the hamlet of Bardonnex.
Bardonnex village enchants by the homogeneous architecture of its ancient mansions as well as its friendly and peaceful atmospheres.
It is also sought after for its direct proximity to several strategic axes for example the motorway (3 minutes) airport (15 minutes) with downtowns Geneva at 10/15 minutes distance.
On the village square called « Place des Brunes » there are 2 restaurants, including the well known « Cafe Babel ».
The bus stop is a few steps from "Maison Forte" in the village centre.
A small courtyard comprising 4 old buildings leads to the manor.
The property for sale covers the SOUTH area of "Maison Forte" representing 457.1 millièmes of the overall site with a total surface of 1,492 square mètres comprising a pathway, courtyard but especially a beautiful south facing garden with diverse species and a 10m x 5m swimming pool with an integrated electric rolling shutter.
Considerable renovations were undertaken in 2006, highlighted as follows:
-magnificent interior stone staircase, entirely hand made connecting the manors 3 levels (see photo )
-installation of a gas heating system with floor distribution
-full electricity overhaul
- complete renovation of floors, walls, ceilings
-complete renovation of all the bathroom and toilet facilities
-installation of the heated swimming pool (10m x 5m) with integrated electric rolling shutter
Being a « listed monument « the renovations were conducted under the supervision of Geneva State Control.
The materials were maticulously selected and of the highest standing. The workmanship of excellent quality.
Each room is equipped with an Internet connection.
The interior layout is the following :
Ground floor (125 sq meters)
. 2 bedrooms
. Shower room
. Technical room
First Floor (107 sq meters)
. Spacious living / dining room with fireplace
. South facing